Tuesday, July 11, 2017

GP7 #321

The first unit to be painted into the standard KY&N scheme is GP7 #321. Using a Proto 2000 model. I stripped the Santa Fe "Zebra" paint off the shell using 91% alcohol. After thoroughly washing and drying, I added a N&W-style nose bell and winterization hatch both from Details West. Because all of the KY&N's GP7's were delivered as "long hood forward", I relocated the Leslie 3-chime air horn to a centered position just behind the dynamic brake fan. This was also a typical location for the B&O's GP9's.

The unit was then painted using Valspar's Flat Hunter Green (yes, from a rattle can!). Microscale's 1/8" yellow stripes were applied to the nose and long hood and bonded using Walthers' Solvaset. The numbers came from an old set of Virnex yellow numbers.

Eventually, I'll have a custom run of shields and lettering for the long hood, I plan to get 8 or 10 units to the same point as #321 before I finish lettering and reapply handrails and whatnot.

GP7 #321 was the 7th of 10 units built by EMD in August of 1952. Originally numbered 721, it was renumbered in 1960 after the last of the steam locomotives were retired.



No comments:

Post a Comment